From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of LDHEN automatic digest system
Sent: 11 May 2013 00:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: LDHEN Digest - 9 May 2013 to 10 May 2013 (#2013-80)

Topics of the day:

  1. International students' survival strategies (3)
  2. Lifewide Magazine 6 free download

Date:    Fri, 10 May 2013 15:59:02 +0100
From:    Helen Bowstead <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: International students' survival strategies

Dear all,

I received this email from my colleague and wondered if anyone had any thoughts or had seen any relevant literature that might help?

I've located any number of journal articles about international students' experiences and difficulties studying in western universities and what universities should be doing to support them. I'm finding it harder to locate literature about what learning/coping/survival strategies they actually use to get by when they are thrown in the deep end. I've done a couple of interviews and I'm getting things about strategies such as appealing to conationals for help, appealing to tutors/lecturers, reading core texts in L1 and making notes in L1, using google translate.....I suppose it's good as maybe there's not so much out there....from your learning development angle have you got some tips for me??

Thanks

Helen

Helen Bowstead

[cid:image001.jpg@01CE4D97.3C80AF70]

Web pages www.plymouth.ac.uk/learn<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/learn> for further information, resources and study guides.
LDTalk student e-forum www.jiscmail.ac.uk/ldtalk<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/ldtalk>
Email study questions [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Online feedback on your writing email feedback form<http://learningdevelopment.plymouth.ac.uk/ldemailsubmissionform.html>
One to one tutorials Learning Gateway, 011 Roland Levinsky Building: 01752 587676 (for info on what to expect, click here<https://exchange.plymouth.ac.uk/intranet/learndev/Public/Tutorials_what%20to%20expect.html>)
Drop-in-Zone (DiZ) Plymouth campus Library. 1400 to 1600 every day during term time. No need to book Writing for Assignments E-library www.learningdevelopment.plymouth.ac.uk/wrasse<http://www.learningdevelopment.plymouth.ac.uk/wrasse>