Hi Mark

so I think we have solved it.  It was multi-factorial. A combination I believe of permission corruptions
but also an odd file sitting in the user's .qt directory

We found .qt/fslrc

with these contents

atlaspath=/usr/local/fsl/5.0.1/data/atlases^e
fsldir=/usr/local/fsl/5.0
mni=/usr/local/fsl/5.0/data/standard/MNI152_T1_2mm_brain.nii.gz

1. What writes this  ?  Not all users I looked at had the fslrc file. Many had other harmless files.
2. It's bad that the full atlas path has been translated (as when installations change the root e.g. /usr/local/fsl/5.0
does not change as it's symlinked to the current actual install e.g. /usr/local/fsl/5.0.1

That ^e   on the end of the first line looks interesting...

regards
Neil