Hi Maren,
In addition to the case of variances not assumed to be the same as Jeanette
commented, this setting can also be used in randomise to define
exchangeability groups/blocks, which can be used with certain multivariate
or longitudinal designs. So, it is an useful setting. There will be some
documentation about this soon I hope.
All the best,
Anderson