From: Film-Philosophy [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Frank, Michael
Sent: 08 May 2013 15:41
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FILM-PHILOSOPHY] floating POV

i’m not sure that “enjoying” is exactly the word i would use, but yes – this is richly fascinating, as the conversation sorts out and refines the precise shape of the questions that are being raised

let me raise one more in response to cormac’s challenge  “have moving images always been merely this, a technological fantasy?”:  now obviously some such images have been from the get go – i take it that there is no categorical difference between the CSI shots Cormac adduces and melies’ trip to the moon . . . whether what the lumieres were doing at the same time counts as “technological fantasy” may be more a matter of definition  . . . but the more basic question i want to raise has to do with the distinction between what is being seen and who exactly may be said to be seeing it . . . and it’s not clear to me that any answer to the former necessitates any particular response to the latter

consider, yet again, the opening of rear window . . . the panoramic shot we are offered is, as the conventions of film narration make clear, not what jefferies is seeing since we see him, eyes closed, facing the opposite direction . . . but it is certainly [unlike the CSI shots] a view that someone else in the room could very easily have . . . which proposes the question:  if, as some theorists argue, the existence of a narration posits a narrator, does the existence of a view posit a viewer? . . . and if it does, does the difference between a view that would be available to a human viewer [as in RW] and a view impossible for a human viewer [as is CSI] significant? . . .

thinking through this i suppose leads to the idea that in answering cormac’s original question, the capabilities of new technology don’t materially affect the discussion

mike