G'day!

I think there's always been a tension, and it's always been a debate. When
I first became involved in this area I was a consumer advocate, and my
interest was also to a large extent based on my concern.

Certainly, my concerns were one of the main reasons I got involved in
establishing the Cochrane Collaboration a couple of decades ago: I had
hopes of playing a role into reducing the harm to consumer choice arising
from people losing access to services because of one (or a few)
researchers' subjective judgments & interpretations of evidence. That's one
of the consequences of those upstream applications of evidence. I wrote
something about whether consumers and EBM were allies or
enemies<https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2000/172/1/allies-or-enemies-evidence-based-medicine-and-consumer-choice?0=ip_login_no_cache%3D7074101b7247589113a9b6b920803bcc>many
years ago - came then to the position that it could go either way. It
depended on how patient-centred the evidence is, to a large extent, I
think.

We don't really know whether the results of EBM are beneficial: we believe
it and assume it's better than the alternative, but that itself has not
been tested. There are plenty of visible adverse
effects<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC524578/>-
sometimes practice wheeling about in this direction and that in
response
to evidence, ending up back where non-EBM practitioners always were, for
example. But people usually concentrate on the anecdotes of harm from NOT
being evidence-based, and quote anecodotal cases where EBM helped. On
balance, we just believe it's logical to assume that there's a net benefit
because science is meant to be self-correcting. But we don't know that,
because systematic reviews themselves can at times end further scientific
enquiry or channel it certain ways.

Whether EBM as a system was evidence-based was discussed a lot in
conjunction with a special BMJ issue in 2004: at the time, I think the
consensus was that we didn't have an evidence base for the system. I don't
think that's changed, has it? Certain aspects are tested in RCTs (often
without the hoped-for results), but not the whole. I'm not saying it needs
to be, but its effect on either making medicine more or less
patient-centered would certainly be one of the outcomes of great interest.

Hilda