Help NICE please!

I play a small part here at NICE advising on the topics for Clinical Knowledge Summaries http://cks.nice.org.uk/

CKS provides primary care practitioners with a readily accessible summary of the current evidence base and practical guidance on best practice in respect of over 300 common and/or significant primary care presentations.

Whilst we are pretty confident we have identified as topics all of the common conditions that present frequently to UK general practice, it would be wonderful to have some help from this group in identifying the “rare but important” conditions where such a summary of evidence would be useful. For most primary care clinicians the core, common conditions are probably less than 50, but there’s the long tail of more than 10,000 other rare conditions – and for some of those it’s pretty important to get it right – meningococcal septicaemia, for example.  So have we captured those as topics – the list of the current topics is on the attached spread sheet?

In order to preserve the sanity of all on the list I’m happy to take replies off list- I will collate and post a summary.

I should say that the current list of topics has developed iteratively since 1996, and this is an attempt to stand back and be a bit more strategic. We have capacity to expand by up to 10 topics a year as well as an updating programme, so this is your chance!

Best wishes

Neal

Professor Neal Maskrey

Consultant Clinical Adviser, Medicines and Prescribing Centre

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
Ground Floor Building 2000 Vortex Court | Enterprise Way | Wavertree Technology Park | Liverpool L13 1FB | United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (151) 353 7729 | Fax: +44 (151) 220 4334

Honorary Professor of Evidence-informed Decision Making, Keele University, Staffordshire. ST5 5BG.

Web: http://nice.org.uk

The information contained in this message and any attachments is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the addressee, you may not disclose, reproduce or distribute this message. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender and delete it from your system. Any personal data sent in reply to this message will be used in accordance with provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 and only for the purposes of the Institute's work.

All messages sent by NICE are checked for viruses, but we recommend that you carry out your own checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.

http://www.nice.org.uk