>> I would like to argue that person-centred care is at the centre of the EBM definition but EBM is not explicitly within definitions of person-centred care.

Good question!

Is this reasonable? Yes!

But I've always found patients and the public entirely receptive to incorporating evidence into person-centred decision making about their care. After all, what is the alternative?
What I might gently add is that it seems to me there are 4 settings to get from evidence / information to informed individual decision making.

The settings, sequentially  I'd name as research, national guidance, local policies, and individual decision makings (RNLI).

EBM/P has focussed huge efforts at the first translation from research to "national guidance". Discussions on this group are dominated by this - and very helpful they are. However, there is relatively little effort expended on the second translation from that guidance into local policies. Then there's a relatively small amount of effort going into supporting evidence-based, shared decision making at the individual consultation level, but this is miniscule compared with the guidelines and technology appraisal effort. As Kev says, the issue is recognised but we still are woefully short on the "how to do it". Adoption of evidence is arguably limited by this skewed effort, and by the lack of recognition that it takes a lot more than the first translation.

I think that RNLI model is useful, at least to me, when thinking about the journey from evidence to individual care. Each of the settings have their own paradigm - and translations to help move through what is often a far from an orderly, logical and sequential progression each require (very) different approaches, skills, attitudes, tools etc.

Good luck with linking the EBM paradigm with the patient centred paradigm. Do let us know how you get on!

Best wishes

Neal
Professor Neal Maskrey
Consultant Clinical Adviser, Medicines and Prescribing Centre
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
Ground Floor Building 2000 Vortex Court | Enterprise Way | Wavertree Technology Park | Liverpool L13 1FB | United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (151) 353 7729 | Fax: +44 (151) 220 4334
Honorary Professor of Evidence-informed Decision Making, Keele University, Staffordshire. ST5 5BG.

Web: http://nice.org.uk<http://nice.org.uk/>