Enviado pelo meu Windows Phone

De: write words
Enviada em: 13/05/2013 17:29
Para: [log in to unmask]
Assunto: why did CMAJ publish this study?

The CMAJ just published a study on naturopathy. The press release I received about the paper said, “Treatment by naturopathic doctors shows reduction in cardiovascular risk factors. Randomized controlled trial.”

The trial showed nothing of the sort. I blogged about this last week:

http://www.lastwordonnothing.com/2013/05/09/crappystudy/

Here's a link to the study itself (Gordon Gyatt is listed as senior author): http://www.cmaj.ca/content/early/2013/04/29/cmaj.120567

The CMAJ knew that the study was useless. From an editorial that accompanied the study:

"We can learn nothing new from this trial about supplements or any other individual component of care, because the trial was not designed to allow their evaluation."  http://www.cmaj.ca/content/early/2013/04/29/cmaj.130614.full.pdf

Is there something I'm missing here? Does a study that's not designed to measure anything have some use I'm overlooking?

Best,
Christie

Christie Aschwanden
Email: [log in to unmask]