Hi

I suspect this will be covered in More or Less, the BBC radio programme next week. The programme looks at statistics in the news and is available as a podcast on http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/moreorless

Best wishes

Fiona Morgan

From:        Susan Fowler <[log in to unmask]>
To:        [log in to unmask]
Date:        16/05/2013 15:38
Subject:        Fwd: Angelina Jolie's 87% Risk
Sent by:        "Evidence based health (EBH)" <[log in to unmask]>

In case you are wondering or have people asking you (as I did) where that 87% increased risk number that Angelina mentions in her NY Times editorial came from, I believe this is it...

U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.
Genetic risk assessment and BRCA mutation testing for breast and ovarian cancer susceptibility; 2005.

"These mutations increase a woman's lifetime risk for breast cancer to 60% to 85%..."

·         Brose MS, Rebbeck TR, Calzone KA, Stopfer JE, Nathanson KL, Weber BL. Cancer risk estimates for BRCA1 mutation carriers identified in a risk evaluation programJ Natl Cancer Inst 2002;94:1365-72.

·         Thompson D, Easton DF. Cancer incidence in BRCA1 mutation carriersJ Natl Cancer Inst 2002;94:1358-65.

Of course, I could be mistaken, so if someone has something better please share!

--
Susan Fowler, MLIS
Medical Librarian

Evidence at Becker:

http://beckerguides.wustl.edu/ebm

Systematic Reviews Guide:

http://beckerguides.wustl.edu/SystematicReviews

Becker Medical Library, Washington University in St. Louis

314-362-8092