In case you are wondering or have people asking you (as I did) where that 87% increased risk number that Angelina mentions in her NY Times editorial came from, I believe this is it...

U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Genetic risk assessment and BRCA mutation testing for breast and ovarian cancer susceptibility; 2005.

"These mutations increase a woman's lifetime risk for breast cancer to 60% to 85%..."

ˇ         Brose MS, Rebbeck TR, Calzone KA, Stopfer JE, Nathanson KL, Weber BL. Cancer risk estimates for BRCA1 mutation carriers identified in a risk evaluation program. J Natl Cancer Inst 2002;94:1365-72.

ˇ         Thompson D, Easton DF. Cancer incidence in BRCA1 mutation carriers. J Natl Cancer Inst 2002;94:1358-65.

Of course, I could be mistaken, so if someone has something better please share!

--
Susan Fowler, MLIS
Medical Librarian

Evidence at Becker:
http://beckerguides.wustl.edu/ebm

Systematic Reviews Guide:
http://beckerguides.wustl.edu/SystematicReviews

Becker Medical Library, Washington University in St. Louis
314-362-8092