I think if there is any issue with the publication, then a response to author should be written and allow the author to reply. Gordon Guyatt is not the principle author (but realize his name is offered given his seniority in the EBM field) but I am sure that if someone is moved to reply to author, and he is asked a question (s) for clarification, he will address concerns and questions.

     Best,Paul E. Alexander

--- On Tue, 5/14/13, Susan Fowler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Susan Fowler <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: why did CMAJ publish this study?
To: [log in to unmask]

Have you written Gordon Guyatt and asked him?

--
Susan Fowler, MLIS
Medical Librarian

Evidence at Becker:
http://beckerguides.wustl.edu/ebm

Systematic Reviews Guide:

http://beckerguides.wustl.edu/SystematicReviews

Becker Medical Library, Washington University in St. Louis

314-362-8092

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM, write words <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

The CMAJ just published a study on naturopathy. The press release I received about the paper said, “Treatment by naturopathic doctors shows reduction in cardiovascular risk factors. Randomized controlled trial.”

The trial showed nothing of the sort. I blogged about this last week:
http://www.lastwordonnothing.com/2013/05/09/crappystudy/

Here's a link to the study itself (Gordon Gyatt is listed as senior author): http://www.cmaj.ca/content/early/2013/04/29/cmaj.120567

The CMAJ knew that the study was useless. From an editorial that accompanied the study:
"We can learn nothing new from this trial about supplements or any other individual component of care, because the trial was not designed to allow their evaluation."  http://www.cmaj.ca/content/early/2013/04/29/cmaj.130614.full.pdf

Is there something I'm missing here? Does a study that's not designed to measure anything have some use I'm overlooking?
Best,Christie

Christie AschwandenEmail: [log in to unmask]: www.christieaschwanden.com
Blog: www.lastwordonnothing.com/category/christie/Twitter: @cragcrest