I use language experience with reflect and I find them both very powerful tools among other approaches too. With reflect and language experience students are able to reveal their rich experiences in an integrated way so speaking is the source of writing which is the reading and the listening (to reading aloud and guessing who the author was). We do speaky listening 'grammar', hearing the language and its meaning and contrasting a lot too (e.g. I grow vegetables in the allotment, but I have grown a mango tree, listen swim, swam swum, are they the same or different, etc. ) and then getting words down through conversations between the T or the volunteer and the students.

Just today:

I have swum in the South China Sea. The water was warm and salty. I used tools to collect oysters. I caught a whole bucket of oysters. We ate them - really nice.

I have climbed a mango tree. It was a big tree. I picked the mangoes. We made mango juice and we ate rice and mango, with milk and chicken.

My class is E2/3 for learners with little or no formal schooling (LLNFS).

I think one needs to be eclectic. Experiment, try out stuff, and if it is meaningful  and it grabs learners and works, students usually progress. I have a few students that I've taught from scratch and they can read texts like the above, not memorising, real reading, and they can read some funny stories I've written that are longer - and the proof is in the laughter.

Ann Macdonald