Dear Colleagues: I am trying to create a somewhat comprehensive (?) bibliography on social / political aspects of blindness that people / organizations may wish to post online. My goal is to include as many autobiographies by blind people as I can and more generally, to ensure a"balance" between academic and populist material. I see this as a project in progress. If you can think of materials that should be in this bibliography, please let me know and I will add them to this document. At the end of May, I will resend the revised bibliography to the list. Thanks in advance. Lilith

Bibliography on Blindness (post 1960)

Alexander, S. H. (1994). Taking Hold: My Journey into Blindness. New York: Macmillan.

Alexander, S. H. (1997). On My Own: The Journey Continues. New York: Farrar, Straus, Giroux.

Avalos H. (2007) “Introducing Sensory Criticism in Biblical Studies: Audiocentricity and Visiocentricity. “ In Avalos H., Melcher S. & Schipper J. (eds) The Abled Body: Rethinking Disabilities in Biblical Studies. Atlanta, Georgia: Society of Biblical Literature.

Bar-Yosef E. (2009) The "Deaf Traveller," the "Blind Traveller," and Constructions of Disability in Nineteenth-Century Travel Writing. Victorian Review, 35(2): 133-154.

Barasch M (2001) Blindness: The history of a mental image in Western thought. London, U.K.: Routledge.

Brace J. (2004) The Blind African Slave Or Memoirs of Boyrereau Brinch, Nicknamed Jeffrey Brace. Madison Wisconsin: University of Wisconsin Press.

Brace, M. (1980) Where There`s a Will. London, U.K.: Souvenir Press.

Brock J. & Gill D. (1994) More Than Meets the Eye. New York, New York: Harper Collins.

Browne S., Connors D & Stern N. (1985) With the

Power of Each Breath: A Disabled Women`s

Anthology. San Francisco, California: Cleis Press.

Carstairs C. & Kruth S. (2012) Disability and Citizenship in the Life and Fiction of Jean Little. Social history, 45 (90): 339-359.

Cathain M.O. (2006) “Blind, But Not to the Hard Facts of Life”: The Blind Workers’ Struggle in Derry, 1928-1940. Radical History Review, 94 (Winter 2006): 9-21.

Chambers, D. (2005) Words in My Hands: A Teacher, A Deaf-Blind Man, An Unforgettable Journey. Conifer, CO: Ellexa Press.

Cutsforth, T.D. (1972) The Blind in School and Society: A Psychological Study. New York, New York: American Foundation for the Blind.

De Coster K. and Loots G. (2004) Somewhere In Between Touch and Vision: In Search of a Meaningful Art Education for Blind Individuals. The International Journal of Art & Design Education, 23(3): 326-334.

Devlieger P., Renders F., Froyen H. and Wildiers K.  (editors)(2006) Blindness and the Multi-sensorial City. Antwerp, Beligium: Garant Publishers.

Eriksson Y (2003) What is the history of tactile pictures? In Axel E. & Levent N. (Eds.) Art beyond sight. New York: The American Foundation for the Blind & Art Education for the Blind.

French, S. (1991) The Advantages of Visual Impairment: Some physiotherapists' views, New Beacon, 75 (872): 1 - 6.

Hine, R.V. (1997) Second Sight. Berkeley, California: University of California Press.

Hocken, S. (1978) Emma and I: The True and Inspiring Story of a Young Woman’s Triumphant Search for Sight. New York: Thomas Congdon Books.

Hull J. (1990) Touching the rock: An experience of blindness. London: SPCK

Husson T. (2001) Reflections: The life and writings of a young blind woman in post-revolutionary France. New York University Press. New York.

Kleege G. (1999) Sight Unseen. New Haven, Connecticut: Yale University Press.

Kleege G. (2010) Dialogues with the Blind: Literary Depictions of Blindness and Visual Art. Journal of Literary & Cultural Disability Studies, 4 (1): 1-16.

Kordi G. (1991) An Iranian Odyssey. London, England: Serpent’s Tail.

Kuusisto, S. (1998) Planet of the Blind: A Memoir. New York: Dell Publishing.

Lash, J. P. (1980) Helen and Teacher: The Story of Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan Macy. New York: Delacorte Press.

Little J. (1987) Little by Little: A Writer’s Education. Markham, Ontario: Penguin Books.

Lusseyran, Jacques (1963) And There Was Light: Autobiography of Jacques Lusseyran, Blind Hero of the French Resistance. Edinburgh: Floris Books.

Lusseyran, Jacques (1999) Against the Pollution of the I: selected writings of Jacques Lusseyran. New York, NY: Parabola Books.

Magee B. & Milligan M. (1995) On Blindness. Oxford, U.K.: Oxford University Press.

Marston J., Golledge R. & Costanzo M. (1997) Investigating Travel Behaviour of Nondriving Blind and Vision Impaired People: The Role of Public Transit. Professional Geographer, 49(2): 235-245.

Mason M.G. (2004) Working Against the Odds: Stories of Disabled Women`s Work Lives. Boston, Mass: Northeastern University Press.

Michalko, R. (2002) The Difference that Disability Makes.  Philadelphia: Temple University Press.

Michalko, R.  (1999) The Two-In-One: Walking with Smokie, Walking with Blindness. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.

Michalko, R. (1998) The Mystery of the Eye and the Shadow of Blindness. Toronto, Ontario: University of Toronto Press.

Millar S. (1997) Reading by Touch. London, U.K.: Routledge.

Omansky B. (2011) Borderlands of Blindness. Boulder, Colorado: Lynne Rienner Publishers.

Potok, A. (2002) A Matter of Dignity: Changing the World of the Disabled. New York: Bantam.

Poulson, J. (2002) The Doctor Will Not See You Now. The Autobiography of a Blind Physician. Ottawa, Canada: Novalis Press.

Resnick , R. (1975) Sun and Shadow. New York: Atheneum.

Rowden T. (2009) The Songs of Blind Folk: African American Musicians and the Cultures of Blindness. Ann Arbor, Michigan: University of Michigan Press.

Sacks O. (1996) The island of the colour-blind and Cycad Island. London: Picador.

Sandahl C. (2004) Black Man, Blind Man: Disability Identity Politics and Performance. Theatre Journal, 56(4): 579-602.

Scadden, L. (2008) Surpassing Expectations: My Life Without Sight. Philadelphia, PA: Xlibris Corporation

Scott, Robert A. (1969) The Making of Blind Men. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.

Shah, F. (1992) “The Blind Woman, Her Family and Participation in the Community (Rural)”. In Imprinting Our Image: An International Anthology by Women with Disabilities. Charlottetown, P.E.I.: Gynergy Press.

Sullivan, T. & Gill D. (1975) If You Could See What I Hear. New York, New York: Signet.

Swain J. & French S. (2004) Whose Tragedy: Towards a personal non-tragedy view of disability. In Swain J., French S., Barnes and Thomas (eds.) Disabling Barriers – Enabling Environments. (2nd ed.) Sage. London.

TenBroek, J. (1966) The Right to Live in the World: The Disabled in the Law of Torts, California Law Review. 54 (2): 841-919. Available online.

http://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2940&context=californialawreview

Van Hoven B. and Elzinga M. (2009) ‘Bikes are Such a Nuisance’ - Visually Impaired People Negotiating Public Space in Groningen. European Spatial Research and Policy, 16 (1): 131-144.

Vermeij, G. J. (1998) Privileged Hands: A Scientific Life. New York: W.H. Freeman and Company.

Vreeland, S. (1988) What Love Sees. Thorndike, Maine: Thorndike Press.

Weihenmayer E. (2002) Touch the Top of the World. New York: Penguin Books.

White P. (2003) Sex Education or How the Blind Became Heterosexual. Journal of Lesbian and Gay Studies, 9(1/2): 133-148.

Worth N. (2013) Visual Impairment in the City: Young People’s Social Strategies for Independent Mobility. Urban Studies, 50 (3): 574-586.