Dear all,

I have read with interest the report and followed some of the PREPARDE discussion.
On this specific point:

> the re3data minimum requirements are met, i.e. that the access to the data
> and repository as well as the terms of use must be clear

I would like to note that metrics and minimum requirements are more granular in life science, environmental and biomedical areas, where I operate. More info is below for those interested.

Kind regards,
Susanna

***
As an activity of the BioSharing project (http://biosharing.org), we have been working with the International Society for Biocuration on a community-define, uniform and generic description of core attributes of biological databases, namely bioDBcore (http://biodbcore.org). This is clearly geared for life science, environmental biomedical areas, but potentially extendable to other areas. Please, see http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2010/11/17/nar.gkq1173.abstract

One of the core bioDBcore descriptor is a reference to community-standards (minimum information checklists, terminologies and exchange formats) that the database implements. In bioscience there are hundreds of these standards, see http://www.biosharing.org/standards.

But why it is important to know if a database implements community-standards?  In their guidelines for reporting/sharing datasets, many Journals and funding agencies refer to (i) use of community-standards and (ii) submission to well established public repositories. But making such connection and decision is not easy as existing catalogues of databases do not necessary make clear what standards are used.

With BioSharing and the International Society for Biocuration we are doing this and also partner with F1000 Research, GigaScience and the recently announced NPG's Scientific Data - I also work for - http://www.nature.com/scientificdata
***
--
Susanna-Assunta Sansone, PhD
uk.linkedin.com/in/sasansone