Just to add to the caveat - I do actually agree to some extent with Julia - after all Judson had to have arisen from somewhere. There are many forms of intelligence in dance - I have every faith in our students to evidence this and new ideas I fully expect. I would most certainly support the blurring of lines and the banishing of labels that seek to fix in a resistance to change. Even in myself! I still feel that there is a far more political weight behind the term commercial and that to enable us to provide experience, guidance and exploration - its worth exploring this.

On 8 May 2013, at 20:41, Julia Gleich <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I'd like to add a caveat…

Many of my students who arrive with aims toward a "commercial dance" career are open and intelligent and have developed some of the most evolved blending of forms and approaches to process. There were two brilliant dissertation pieces this year from street/commercial(?) choreographers. They are part of the "So You Think You Can Dance" generation but it is a lack of experience, guidance and exploration that will keep them there.  And it is possible that the commercial world we may speak of with some derision, will also fuel new dance ideas that are… less?… commercial.

I do bemoan the trend, and there are some students who seek employability above all else. (Oh no) But I'm eager to blur lines and banish labels … if it were only possible.

On 8 May 2013, at 20:24, Charlotte Nichol <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Thank you again…

I can't help but think despite the evolution of new dance styles and techniques that this 'commercial' approach to employability within 'modern' industry heralds an era of Yes to Spectacle, Yes to virtuosity and trash imagery, Yes to style, Yes to glamour and transcendency of the star image and yes to the seduction of spectator by the wiles of the performer. If only it meant yes to moving and being moved - but instead I would hazard a guess that this product over process back track is an attempt to allow us all a sense of aneasthesia in our current economic climate! I am sure there is a paper in this somewhere!

On 8 May 2013, at 17:19, Jane Bacon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I found this today and thought I would share…the term 'commercial' seems here to stay – whether we consider it form/style, context or marketing.

BA (Hons) Commercial Music
If you want a career in the modern music industry then  this is the course for you. Our BA (Hons) in Commerical Music has been specifically developed in consultation with music professionals in order to meet the needs of the modern industry. This is a unique opportunity to acquire and develop the range of skills and knowledge required to secure realistic and sustainable employment within the sector. (Uni Chichester UG prospectus 2013, p.60)

From: Lotti <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, 8 May 2013 12:29
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Starting a small discussion….

Dear everyone,

Thank you so much for contributing on and offline. I have found it really helpful to know that others have similar questions or concerns. So just to add to this mix...Mikes concerns re contextualisation are really crucial for me - maybe it's about addressing how the term commercial is being applied in any dance context in teaching - to be aware of differentials and preconceptions? Paul's paragraphs are really interesting. The fine art section appears to herald a financial trade off for freedom of expression. I would certainly argue that art communicates far more than just the works itself, if you consider what a single movement conveys. Also is this saying there is no freedom of expression in commercial work?

'Since the basic motivation of the commercial dance is to entertain you need only sit back and be entertained. However, I dare swear that after you have prepared yourself to watch dance on a deeper level you will judge the commercial field by a longer yardstick than mere amusement '
(La Meri 1965, 2011: 141)

I wonder how this deeper level measures as a yardstick....what is the unit?

Veal (2010:390) states: 'Unlike sport, where the publicly subsidized sector and the commercial sector are both considered, unequivocally, to be sport, in the arts those elements of the industry that are financially self-sufficient, such as commercial film and theatre, recorded music and commercial television and publishing, tend to be classified as entertainment or popular culture rather than part of the arts. Thus it would seem that, to exaggerate just a little, only if an activity does not make money is it classified as art.'

La Meri's stance is that there is commercial dance and art dance. Commercial Dance is such that it aligns itself more to popular culture but essentially gets a better wage than the other dance form. There is this strange thing though now that appears we have art as cultural industry and popular culture as commercial industry which is odd??

More and more I see Dance students who appear to have a particular understanding of commercial dance that would include more popular styles emanating from the likes of 'Got to Dance' and other dance talent shows and like Julia suggests 'Music Video' or more Urban styles, as well as popular dance styles that have become fusions or hybrids. I have lately found the word talent increasing in written work - which prompts me to ask for definition!  (Harsh maybe?)Also i get concerned when opinion appears to view commercial like Hollywood as having made it at the top of your game in terms of employability.... I guess I am wondering where HE stands in this mix of contexts and trade offs.

Thank you again everyone,
Best wishes
Lotti Nichol

Dance Lecturer