Dear Critters,
Someone yesterday told me that this event was "dangerous" and from the neo liberal agenda!
I don't want to necessarily stir things up but wondered why this was being suggested by an otherwise left-leaning environmentalist.
Whatmore is a respected [critical] geographer, yes?
Harrabin a well-known Guardian journalist.
Do not know the others.
Are we also unpacking the debates between neo-classical environmental economics and deep green ecological economics?
Any help to figure this out would be welcome; many thanks in advance.

Nick

Date:
Tuesday 18 June 2013, 6.45-9.30pm (registration from 6pm)
Location: Royal Geographical Society (with IBG), 1 Kensington Gore, London, SW7 2AR
Putting a Price on the Priceless: Valuing Nature?
The importance of protecting and conserving our natural landscapes and ecology
  • Evening Discussion Meeting and Networking Reception
  • Organised jointly by the British Ecological Society (BES) and the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG).
There is great interest amongst scientists, economists and policy-makers in the possibility of quantifying the value of the nature. Without putting a price, economic or otherwise, on natural assets, underpinning the delivery of life-support services (‘ecosystem services’) essential to humankind, so the argument goes, nature is ignored in decision-making, becoming ever-more degraded. But what difference is an emphasis on valuation making to the practical conservation of biodiversity and landscape management in the UK? How is valuation affecting business decisions and consumer choices? Is there the scientific evidence base to underpin these developments? And finally, is it moral to put a price on nature at all? Join us at this Question Time-style event to put your questions to our panel of experts.
Speakers include:
  • Chaired by Roger Harrabin, BBC Environment Analyst
  • Professor Rosemary Hails CBE, Centre for Ecology & Hydrology. Member of the Natural Capital Committee, and Chair of the Natural Capital Initiative
  • Dr Tom Crompton, Change Strategist, WWF-UK
  • Professor Sarah Whatmore FRGS, Professor of Environment and Public Policy, Head of the School of Geography and the Environment, Oxford University
Price for students, members of either the BES or RGS-IBG: £4.89 (£4.00 plus fee); non-members: £9.13 (£8.00 plus fee).

Nicholas James