Hello Scott

Setting up rMMS by hand works fine, but it's a bit slow and uses more protein and (sometimes much more important!) more seed stock.

We recommend using a Hamilton syringe, preferably with a rounded needle, to set up by hand.  1.0 protein + 0.7 reservoir solution + 0.3 seed stock works well.  Dispense the protein and reservoir solution first, then add the seed stock   You can clean the needle by passing it through the reservoir just before you dispense seed stock.  It's surprising how accurately you can dispense the seed like that with a syringe and your fingers.

I can't say whether dispensing by robot or by hand gives better results.  The most productive group that I know that used this method had great success by hand before started using a robot, so I'm sure that both work well.

Bear in mind that you're likely to get showers of small crystals at first when you use this method.  So you will probably need to dilute the seed stock.  What works extremely well for this is our new "Combinatorial" script.  Here you arrange the hits in columns, and add a different seed stock to each row.  Make a dilution series from "neat" seed stock to say a 1:100,000 dilution.  Add the most dilute seed stock to the first row, the next most dilute to the second and so on.  Its a really quick way to get 1-5 crystals per well, and you can easily set up a whole plate with almost the same number of crystals per well.  We use the robot to do this but I'm sure it would be easy to do the same thing by hand.

Best wishes

Patrick