CPIB Summer School: Mathematical Modelling for Biologists
9-12 September 2013, University of Nottingham, UK

www.cpib.ac.uk/events/cpib-summer-school/

The aims of our summer school, now in its sixth year,  are:

* To introduce modelling and quantitative approaches to biologists
* To explain where models come from, and how to investigate the behaviour of those models
* To introduce differential equation models, parameter estimation and sensitivity, randomness and spatial models
* To show how to create, simulate and analyse models using appropriate software

Examples will include applications to gene regulation, biochemical reactions, population dynamics, and epidemiology.

Target audience: Open to all - PhD students and postdoctoral researchers with a biological background are particularly encouraged to attend, and no prior experience is assumed. We welcome applications from biologists from all sub-disciplines - you don't have to be a plant scientist to attend!

Places are limited to 40 and applicants are asked to give their background and motivation for attending. Priority will be given to applicants who we think will benefit most from the course. We will review applications in the order that they come in, until all 40 places are full.

The course fee for academic participants in 2013 is £275 and this covers tuition, single en-suite accommodation for 3 nights, and all meals and refreshments. Please contact Susie Lydon ([log in to unmask]) to discuss fees for industrial participants.

Programme:
Day 1: Data, Networks and Models
Day 2: Multi-variable models
Day 3: Parameter estimation and sensitivity; Stochastic models Day 4: Multicellular modelling

The course comprises integrated lectures and computer-based practicals which will allow you to gain an understanding of modelling approaches in a helpful, friendly environment.

Course Organisers: Nick Monk (University of Sheffield) and Markus Owen (University of Nottingham).

For more information and to apply:
http://www.cpib.ac.uk/events/cpib-summer-school/

Best wishes
Susie
--
Dr Susannah Lydon
Outreach Officer

http://www.cpib.ac.uk
email: [log in to unmask]
tel: +44 (0)1159 516289

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.