*        http://www.anthropologymatters.com            *
* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.                *

Dear All,

Due to a number of requests we have decided to extend the call for papers
until Friday 31 May 2013. Apologies for cross-postings. Please circulate
widely. See also our conference poster attached.

*2013 RAI Postgraduate conference, University of Aberdeen*

*Ideas in movement: Addressing tensions in anthropology** *

*Date*: October 28-29

*Extended deadline*: May 31

*Plenary speakers*: Tim Ingold and Rane Willerslev.

The Scottish Training in Anthropological Research (STAR) is proud to
announce the 2013 RAI Postgraduate conference at the University of
Aberdeen. Established in 2006, STAR fosters collaborations between social
anthropology staff and research students from the Universities of Aberdeen,
Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews.

Today, confronted with a world that appears more dynamic and rapidly
changing, anthropologists are questioning some fundamental conceptions,
arguing from different and often contradictory perspectives. As a guiding
concept for this conference we have chosen the role of ‘tensions’ within
the contemporary anthropological debate. Such tensions, flourishing all
around the discipline, mark not only its conceptual history, but also its
constant engagement with the constitutional concerns of our world. Among
many, we might highlight tensions between the real and the imaginary, the
fluid and the static, discourse and perception, nature and culture, purity
and hybridity, the visible and invisible, ethnography and anthropology,
discovery and construction, and so on.

Tensions have long been central to anthropological inquiries, and are still
at the forefront of contemporary debates. As new ideas distance themselves
from old ones, their resemblance seems paradoxical. Even as anthropologists
bury the past trying to move *beyond* old tensions, they continually
resurface in different forms. Having this in mind, important questions
emerge: what does it mean to overcome old tensions? Do we really move
beyond them? Are there alternatives to simply pushing against them? Moving
away from naïve dualism and their simple dissolution, we invite
postgraduate students and early career researchers from all sub-disciplines
of anthropology and other related fields, to propose theoretical and
ethnographic papers that engage with – but by no means should be limited to
– some of these emerging and historical tensions.

Paper abstracts should be submitted to *[log in to unmask]*.
Submissions should include name, institution, a 300 characters short
summary and a 250 words long abstract. Please include three or four
keywords below the body of the abstract.

In order to showcase emerging anthropological research in Scotland, a
selection of papers will be gathered in a panel at the ASA conference that
will take place in Edinburgh in 2014, an event once again organized by the
STAR consortium.

For more information, please visit our website *www.raipgconference2013.com*

* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/Anthropology-Matters.HTML   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers
*
* To unsubscribe: please log on to jiscmail.ac.uk, and            *
* go to the 'Subscriber's corner' page.                                  *
*