[Apologies for Cross-Posting; Please Feel Free to Forward]

Journal of Religion and Violence

Dear Colleague,

I would like to announce the publication of a new academic periodical, the Journal of Religion and Violence (ISSN: 2159-6808). The JRV is an interdisciplinary journal devoted to the study of religion and violence. In addition to publishing analyses of contemporary and historical religious groups involved in violent incidents, the Journal of Religion and Violence publishes articles and book reviews on theorists of religious such as René Girard, sacrifice, terrorism, inter- and intra-religious violence, war and religion, peace and religion, and religiously-legitimated violence against women. Academic researchers with interests in these areas are encouraged to submit articles and book reviews. Please request that your institutional library subscribe. For more information, consult our website:

http://www.academicpublishing.org/JRV.php

Article queries and submissions should be sent to:
            James R. Lewis

Book reviews and review essays should be sent to:
Henrik Bogdan

If you would like to discuss possible book reviews or have any questions regarding book reviews, please contact our Editorial Director, Nicole Ruskell, at [log in to unmask].

1:1 – Table of Contents

INTRODUCTION

ESSAY

Speaking of Violence
Faisal Devji

ARTICLES

Civil War and the Radicalization of Islam in Chechnya
Kjersti Hellesøy

Apocalyptic Scapegoats
Maria Leppäkari

Christianity and Revolution:
Catholicism and Guerrilla Warfare in Argentina’s Seventies
Enzo Gustavo Morello

States of Exception:
The Violence of Territoriality, Sacrality, and Religion in China-Tibet Relations
Michael J. Walsh

Sects and Violence:
The “Standard Model” of New Religions Violence
James R. Lewis

1:2 – Table of Contents

SPECIAL ISSUE: René Girard’s Mimetic Theory and its Contribution to the Study of Religion and Violence

Introduction
Wilhelm Guggenberger and Wolfgang Palaver

Religion and Violence: A Girardian Overview
Nikolaus Wandinger

René Girard and Raymund Schwager on Religion, Violence, and Sacrifice: New Insights from Their Correspondence
            Mathias Moosbrugger

Taming Violence
Wilhelm Guggenberger

Terrorism versus Non-Violent Resistance
            Wolfgang Palaver

The Power of the Zealots: Religion, Violence, and International Relations
            Jodok Troy

Modernity as Revelation: René Girard’s Imagination of the Worst
            Stephen L. Gardner