I first came across mention of a holy well in Solihull whilst reading
the article

*Patchell, P.M. & E.M, _The Wells of Old Warwickshire_ accessed from
*http://people.bath.ac.uk/liskmj/living-spring/sourcearchive/fs6/fs6pat1.htm

several years ago. After reading other documents about Solihull's
history, the only reference to the well came with the endowment of land
to fund the 14th century chantry by William de Odingeseles. This land
contained the holy well and thus the chantry was known locally as
"Halliwell". No documents held by the church give any reference to the
well and no-one locally appears to have any knowledge or interest in
discovering where it might have been.

My husband and**I decided to do some detective work and asked my father
in law, who is a soil mechanic, to search out the geological maps of the
area to see where the likeliest spot for the spring/well might be. He
provided information and we overlaid these on googlemaps. From current
tree lines, waterways etc, we think we have identified the place where
the holy well or spring might have originated in a copse at the bottom
of what we think is a playing field attached to a nearby church school.
We haven't yet asked permission to walk over the site yet as we've been
chasing our tails dealing with my elderly parents for the past month.

Providing the school give us permission to visit the site, does anyone
have any suggestions of what we might search for other than boggy
ground, masonry etc? Also, has anyone ever come across any information
concerning St Alphege's holy well which I might have missed?

Sarah
**