Thanks for the timely reminder - I too saw the Rose and Harrison letter to in the Guardian and had pause for thought. A system which shifts you to a different class by way of a change in a single answer to a short questionnaire seems to lack validity. So by making a single change to who I hang out with I shift effortlessly from one class to another. Should sociolinguists use this scheme to directly classify our informants? I very much like the idea of including economic, social and cultural capital, as it claims to do.

Paul