On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Ruisheng Peng <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I'm trying to compile gaia on a MAC OS X 10.8 box, but running into
> linking problem.

The good news is that this does really work as I am using Mountain Lion
with Starlink.

>  It claims that a whole bunch of _Tcl*, _Tk*, and _XShm* symbols were
> referenced but undefined.  I assume it was looking for Tcl, Tk, as well as
> XShm libs.  There's one ld warning right before listing these undefined
> symbols: directory not found for option '-L/usr/local/star/lib/lib'.  Not
> sure that's the culprit.  Interesting thing is that libtcl8.5.dylib and
> libtk8.5.dylib already exist under /usr/local/star/lib.  I'm afraid that I
> don't know enough to mess with the makefile to fix the problem.  Here're
> what I've done:
>
> o checked out the starlink source tree and placed under /usr/local/starlink
> o defined $STARCONF_DEFAULT_[STARLINK,PREFIX] to /usr/local/star
> o added $STARCONF_DEFAULT_PREFIX/[bin, buildsupport/bin] to the $PATH
> o ./bootstrap
> o make configure-deps
> o ./configure -C --disable-shared --without-stardocs

What's your motivation for the disable shared option? I have to admit that
I've never tried to build the whole of Starlink with this option enabled.

Which compilers are you using?

> o make /usr/local/star/manifests/gaia

As a quick test can you see if

 make /usr/local/star/manifests/hdstrace

works and you get a functioning hdstrace in /usr/local/star/bin ?

Have you installed Xquartz?

--
Tim Jenness

----