Hi,

I mostly used kdbg which is a kde front-end to gdb. I would typically run things through valgrind to find problem spots, and then put in breakpoints in the relevant places in the code and step through carefully with the debugger.

More recently I've been having fun with newer versions of valgrind which provide a gdb server - basically you run valgrind with some special options in one window, and then you fire-up another gdb sessionin another window to control valgrind with a "remote" (i.e. to step through, query bits of memory to see when/where they were allocated etc.). If you'd like more information on that I could dig up my notes for you... kdbg can also be made to work with this - it's nice because every error generated by valgrind produces a breakpoint.

Ed