The Tombs was (and perhaps still is) the nickname for an unsalubrious city jail in New York.

Fred Lerner

From: To exchange information and views on the life and work of Rudyard Kipling [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of David Page [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: “The Man Who would be King”

I suspect that Fred Lerner is on the right track. I have just come across an article from the New York Times of 13 March 1912 http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FB0717FA3F5813738DDDAA0994DB405B828DF1D3 which refers to the use of a missionaries pass to gain nefarious entry to the cells of the Tombs (prison?).