The Gables, where Lockwood and Alice Kipling lived in Tisbury, is up for sale, and jolly nice it looks.

The accompanying sales literature states:

'Their famous son visited them here and, whilst working on his novel 'Kim', his father (his illustrator) used the drawings of one of the pupils from Tisbury Boys' School as the model for the main character."

I am not sure about this claim about the pupil's role a model for Kim. There was a suggestion along those lines in Arthur Ankers's The Pater. But I have never seen any more substantial evidence. Can anyone please enlighten me further?

Andrew Lycett