Thanks for that paper Lee – very useful. But it still doesn’t answer Clare’s original question, which I also share. I have three group. And a text book. The textbook recommends testing for normality in EACH group. My within-group distributions are not normal. But the data as a whole ARE normal. Is the within-group normality really important?

Angela

From: Research of postgraduate psychologists. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of L.R.Saunders
Sent: 09 April 2013 11:36
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: repeatedmeasures ANOVA

Hi,

you might like to read this:

Schmider, E., Ziegler, M., Danay, E., Beyer, L., & Bühner, M. (2010). Is it really robust? Reinvestigating the robustness of ANOVA against violations of the normal distribution assumption. Methodology: European Journal Of Research Methods For The Behavioral And Social Sciences, 6(4), 147-151. doi:10.1027/1614-2241/a000016.

It might be useful/helpful.

Lee