It would be interesting to hear from producers of festivals, e.g., Cheltenham, Bristol Festival of Nature, British Science Association, who all take on volunteers too.

And then of course there are regular volunteer-run activities at zoos, science centres, etc. The list is endless. Where do you draw the line?

Julie Clayton

On 26 Apr 2013, at 09:40, Dominic McDonald <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi all

This is really interesting. I was quite clear about the internships issue, but now this has confused me again. So I have a really simple question for the people who know more about this than I do:

Under what circumstances is it OK for Science Oxford to ask people to volunteer (i.e. expenses only) to help out on an activity?

All suggestions gratefully received

Dom

From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:PSCI-[log in to unmask]] On Behalf OfKathy Weston
Sent: 26 April 2013 09:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Volunteering at the Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition

I think if anything is to be done about this, people need to start lobbying Fellows directly. There's a Fellows' Directory on the RS website, so perhaps pick one of the less ancient ones and drop them an email! I know that the volunteering opportunities at the summer exhibition are regarded within the RS as being akin to working in your local charity shop, but they aren't really, are they?

Cheers
Kathy