Dear Ken,

Thanks for your reply. By the first question, I wanted more of a general
feel of what is required for a design PhD. The points that you listed were
helpful but sometime I feel quite at sea given the enormity of the design
research community. I, with a background in human factors engineering,
constantly find the different design disciplines invigorating but need to
understand the different aspects of design knowledge. Specifically what
would constitute as an original contribution and how could one recognize
it? Do designers recognize a contribution that is more broad than the
"conventional" view of knowledge due to its "recent" growth.

For the second question, my particular dept doesn't limit footnotes. So I
believe that the particular member (an engineer) may have found it
different as compared to the other two committee members (a sociologist and
a historian). These members did not complain about the footnotes. So thanks
for pointing the different disciplinary conventions.

Thanks,
VK