Geez, Martin,

I will return later to speak of Nelson’s criteria. The purpose of this note is to clarify one simple issue. You wrote,

“I seem to recall you confessing that your students tell you that, given a choice between perfecting research methodology and saving the world, you would choose the former? Or did I dream it?”

I did not say this – you might have bothered to check before publishing a statement such as this. I never said anything of the sort.

The CORRECT statement of my views appears in my comments from the UK AHRC Practice-Led Review. These are my words:

“An angry design student once asked me whether research is more important than feeding the hungry as though I could choose between solving a particular mathematical problem and ending world hunger. If I could choose, I would end hunger. I do not get to choose between these two.”

If I could choose, I would end hunger. I do not get to choose between these two.

All professors – artistic or scientific – ought to be responsible in attributing quotations. This is especially the case when the attributed quote suggests that someone lacks human compassion and ethical sensibility.

The student who asked me the original silly question was young and foolish. You are an adult. We set higher standards for grown-ups.

Yours,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | University Distinguished Professor | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | Mobile +61 404 830 462 | Home Page http://www.swinburne.edu.au/design/people/Professor-Ken-Friedman-ID22.html<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/design>    Academia Page http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman About Me Page http://about.me/ken_friedman

Guest Professor | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China