 Dear all,

New Criticism deals, at length, with what is called, in literary
theory, the "intentional fallacy" (finding things in texts as if the
author put them there intentionally).

This led via various pathways, to various forms of Reception
Aesthetics.

The example of tendentious reading that Jerry provides can be dealt
with by a reception approach - what any reader finds in their reading of
a text is an interpretation of their reception of the text. Silly
readings, brilliant readings - how to tell the difference? Stanley Fish
answers by the notion of Convention - if I find things in Milton by
following the accepted conventions of reading Milton, then that group of
readers who follow that convention will possibly find my reading as
useful.

cheers

keith

>>> Jerry Diethelm <[log in to unmask]> 04/11/13 3:03 AM >>>
A question about the meaning of a designed object:

On 4/10/13 8:13 AM, "Charles Burnette" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> David and others interested in design objects
>
> In David Sless's paper 1) he writes "Anscombe*s profound insight of
relevance
> to communication was to realise that statements about an author*s
intentions
> are logically and empirically part of one*s reading of an author*s
text, not
> an intrinsic part of either the text or the author. "
>
> I agree with the first but not the last sentence, precisely because I
take a
> different position regarding an object of thought/communication.

Re: the above discussion.

If a contemporary reader had knowledge that Mary Shelley was pregnant
when
she wrote the novel Frankenstein, and still carried memories of the
horrors
of thalidomide, would that knowledge and remembered experience become
part
of the meaning of the novel?

Jerry