From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Keith Russell
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 9:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Ideas and definitions of what is "a design" in a broad sense

 Dear Klaus,

yep - I'm cool with that - especially in the sense that by "just being there" BEING is everywhere already available whereas as "doing is becoming" implies that DOING is only there when the just of BEING is realized as the BECOMING of DOING.

That is, BECOMING is a fundamental possibility of BEING and is evidenced in the concepts I mentioned before: mortality, natality, plasticity, viscosity.

BEING seeks to determine and re-determine itself by giving itself over to DOING as BECOMING - this is a pretty straight forward kind of Hegelian kenotic (loss and recovery of self) dialectic.

Even in just BEING I am BECOMING since BEING is aware, in its "just being" of absence as the ground of presence (BEING and NOTHINGNESS).

BECOMING as DOING is then a kind of negation of BEING (as just being) but it (BECOMING) will also be found, by consciousness to just BE even if the BEING now is significantly different (by design or by force of events).

Hence we are in a dialectic of BEING and BECOMING which is a lot like "I got out of bed this morning to find it had rained overnight and my tanks are now full".

cheers

keith

>>> Klaus Krippendorff <[log in to unmask]> 04/05/13 11:48 AM

dear keith,

what about:  being is just being there,      but doing is becoming

cheers

klaus