>> My
>> proof reader insists one using "it is thought" to express my own
>> opinions, whereas others say it is find to use the 'I' pronoun.
>
> Why would they want something less precise (and arguably more pretentious)?

Probably because they know that the reflexive approach to research is
still vehemently challenged by
materialist/positivist/empiricist/objectivist traditionalists? :-)

My (newly prospective) director of studies wanted me to change the
track of my research - which is based on subjectivity in the form of
Q-methodology - because most of the people in marketing who may
examine it are from the parametric tradition.

He will have find different examiners because I reject the premises of
traditional parametric tests, such as that people are homogeneous, and
that the beliefs they hold are precise and objectively observable.
That is the whole point of my my research, which is to develop a
Q-methodology plug-in to make it easier to collect Q-sorts online:
http://www.crocels.eu/188/qpress/

Hence why philosophers like Derrida have already been influential on me.

Jonathan Bishop