We’ve found you can do pretty much everything in html5 one way or another that you could do in flash: we’ve converted all 75 templates without any real issues.

From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sheppard, Nick
Sent: 25 April 2013 12:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Converting Flash to HTML5

Hi all

Thanks to Dave K for pointing me at https://www.google.com/doubleclick/studio/swiffy/ to convert a swf to HTML5. Dead quick and easy and output works OK on a nexus 7, iPad and Galaxy S2 (though animation is less smooth).

Original swf: http://repository.leedsmet.ac.uk/main/view_record.php?identifier=3839&SearchGroup=ANY

HTML5: http://repository.leedsmet.ac.uk/main/view_record.php?identifier=8070&SearchGroup=ANY

Doesn’t work in IE8 due to lack of HTML5 support…fine in Chrome and FireFox though much smaller than the original swf on a desktop browser (due, I’m told, to the fact that Flash files will be scaled to fit your browser window, whereas the converted HTML5 version is fixed to the dimensions of the Flash version as it was when it was created.)

I understand that soon-to-be-released upgraded xerte will output as HTML5 but am I right in thinking that the standard still won’t replace all the functionality of Flash?

Nick

Nick Sheppard

Repository Developer

The Headingley Library