If this were true you could say that practically anyone who had surgery could potentially be covered under the EqA - even for ordinary stuff like hernia repairs
 Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 18:33:52 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Equality act again
To: [log in to unmask]

i would say no as her functioning has returned to normal there isnt any progressive degeneration or disorder indicated by you  and surgery has treated this
steph
On 5 Apr 2013, at 17:47, Jane Gould <[log in to unmask]> wrote:I went to a conference and the Equality Act reared its head again. It was proposed we should look at medical interventions in ameliorating conditions and how with their absence the condition would have an effect significantly on everyday activity. This would be true, the speaker (an eminent OHP) stated with regards surgery- in other words without surgery an individual would have significant day to day restrictions for over 12months (or longer) arguable I guess he was saying is the medical intervention stopped the debility continuing for over 12 months .
I have seen a young  (23) lady who was incapacitated with a fractured ankle, needed crutches could not drive, had problems carrying hot drinks with said crutches etc. After 2 surgeries (involving pin and plating ) she is now back a few months later, to full activity, wounds are fine and as she is young is going to carry on with her hobby of hockey. She has a secretarial job and is back on full duties. My question with a view as to what was said in the conference is- In your opinion does the Equality Act apply to this case? I am asking as between my colleagues we had  differing opinions and would like a consensus.Thanks

 Jane

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: