Hi Diane

For my two penneth in addition to what you have already written:

1)      It should read well in good English – I have seen so many would tick all your boxes but are simply unreadable. As OH has changed in the last 20 years from a service where absence advice is the prerogative of the Physician to where it is now the prerogative of the OHA, most OHAs I know would think this right and that they could do and report on 95% plus of what the physicians use to do.   The big problem is we don’t write like they do.  Even if their reports were not or are not very good sometimes, at least they can string a sentence of English together and so often OHAs can’t.

2)      It shouldn’t dwell unnecessarily on history that managers and HR are already well aware of.  The “he states/she states” thing is red rag to a bull to HR managers who know all that already.  The phrase at the beginning of a paragraph “so and so provided the following history”  also negates the need to use “he states/she states” at the front of every sentence that you then write which is terrible English and tedious to read.

3)      Be careful of templated phrases. We all use them and many of the big providers heavily base their reports on them for reasons of speed.  They are very useful but unless the language of the report is personalised to the employee and the recipient, they make for terribly clunky reading – particularly for an HR adviser who may have read the same phrase 3 times that week already.  The one that really winds me up is where a stress risk assessment is advised.  This may be absolutely the correct advice technically but unless you understand the organisation’s own policies and procedures and where they are in managing this issue it is meaningless and flies over the heads of most managers and HR folk.

4)      Know the business you writing to.  Telephone assessments are great but should come on the back of knowing what the inside of the factory/office/warehouse/whatever workplace looks like and what the jobs really involve.  Don’t fall under the criticism “do they know what we really do?”

5)      Personally, I include an opinion on whether the EA is likely to apply.  I find that clients like it and if often helps to justify recommendations.  I know this has been debated on this forum before and some others have a very different view

I sense one of your articles coming on and will look forward to reading it.

Thanks

Lindsey

Lindsey Hall

Director and Independent Occupational Health Adviser

Split Dimension Ltd

Phone: 01454 852715

Fax: 01454 740045

Mobile: 07771 596111

Web: www.splitdimension.co.uk

Twitter: https://twitter.com/splitdimension

The Health at Work Guide to Life - out now!

This electronic transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the named  addressee or think you may not be the  intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on the contents of this transmission and should destroy it immediately. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify me as soon as possible.

Please note that Split Dimension does not accept any responsibility for viruses, malware or any other potentially harmful programmes or systems and it is your responsibility to protect your computer systems against any possible contamination that might be contained in transmissions and/or attachments.

Split Dimension Ltd. Registered in England and Wales.  No 5725582.