    Stuart> Hi Sam,
    >> Hi.  I'd like to better understand this concern.
    >>
    >> How will keeping things in separate directories make dependency
    >> resolution easier?

    Stuart> Because then they could belong to new packages which would
    Stuart> not need to carry the dependencies of the original
    Stuart> distribution packages they replaced. If alternatively you
    Stuart> were replacing distribution packages, e.g. if package P is
    Stuart> replaced by P.moonshot, you might one day get the following
    Stuart> situation:

Thanks, this was a very useful explanation.
I think we may be miscommunicating somewhat.

The only cases where we plan to replace  distribution components are
cases where  we'll leave our packages in /opt/moonshot.
That is, the openssh case.

libevent is another case where we'll either rename our packages and be
using a different soname and/or use a static build.

The stuff we're talking about putting in /usr is exactly stuff that
isn't in the distributions today.  And if it gets there, please use
their packages not ours, or build from source.

In particular we're talking about:

* Shibboleth
* libradsec
* Moonshot UI