Hi Jo,

I am also a labour ward co-ordinator and supervisor of midwives.

Apart from what is written in midwifery amd ALSO manuals, there is no formal
hands on training of midwives for this emergency in Scotland as far as I am
aware. Midwives are invited to observe on the MOET course which may include
more.

I would expect that a midwife would transfer a woman in to hospital wherever
possible. I personally think that manual removal of placenta and examination
of the uterus is not something midwives would ever be able to gain
competency in and should actually be revisited.

I also think that there is greater potential for the midwife to make the
situation worse by attempting a manual removal.

I wonder if there have been any cases of retained placenta in the community
where the review panel has deemed that this emergency procedure should have
been undertaken?

It would be interesting to hear from areas which have a high homebirth rate.
We sadly do not.

Regards,

Laura