but....

From: Genevra Kornbluth <[log in to unmask]>

> I am looking at a seal matrix that appears to be roughly C13. I have found
some good parallels for the letter forms on other seal matrices of that
century, but my knowledge of majuscule display scripts is mostly earlier. What
would be the best secondary source for me to consult for a good overview of
developments?

i've got a nice recent article on the seals of the Archbishops of Reims

Demouy, Patrick. “Les sceaux des archevéques de Reims des origines à la
fin du XIIIe siècle,” in L’encadrement religieux des fidèles au
Moyen-Age et jusqu’au Concile de Trente: la paroisse, le clergé, la
pastorale, la dévotion. (Actes du 109e Congrès national des sociétés
savantes, Dijon, 1984. Section d’histoire médiévale et de philologie, Tome
I). Paris: Comité des travaux historiques et scientifiques, 1985, pp.
687-720.

which has a very few illustrations, one of which might be of interest to you
--will send you (or anyone else) a copy i have.

Demouy cites a few sources which are worth checking out for plates (at
least):

LECOY DE LA MARCHE, Les sceaux. Paris: Alcide Picard et Kaan, 1889. [gallica]

DOUET D'ARCQ, Collections de sceaux. Paris, 1867.

DEMAY, Inventaire des sceaux de la Flandre.

one or more of these *might* be on Gallica, or somewhere else on line.

the DOUET D'ARCQ is an agéd but *massive* classic, which i vaguely remember
looking at many years ago, on a planet very far away --it wasn't on Gallica
the last time i looked, but that too was many years ago (though on a planet
closer to home).

you might also have a look at these two, though i'm not sure what sorts of
illustrations might be provided in them (both on Gallica):

Demay, Germain. Inventaire des sceaux de la collection Clairambault à la
bibliothèque nationale. Paris, 1885. [gallica]

_____. Inventaire des sceaux de la Normandie. Paris, 1880. [gallica]

and, difficult because disparate, there are lots and lots of seals published
(usually in woodcuts) in the introductions to many cartularies, as well as
some obscure (or, formerly obscure --now on Gallica) special studies, e.g.,

Charles Métais, “Sceaux Dunois. I: Sceaux des vicomtes de Châteaudun; II:
Seigneurs du pays Dunois,” BSD, VII, 1891-1893, pp. 381-424.

Moutié, Auguste. Chevreuse: Recherches historiques, archéologiques et
généalogiques. Deuxième Partie: Tableaux généalogiques et sceaux des
seigneurs de Chevreuse (Mémoires et documents publié par la Société
archéologique de Rambouillet). Rambouillet: Raynal, 1876.

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5455424p.r

i would say that the Expert on seals generally is ....... [Senior Moment]...
what's her name, Jim?  used to be a regular at K'zoo, last i head was at U.
Maryland...

anyway, if you can find someone who remembers her name, she is both
knowledgeable and generous and i'm sure would answer any query, esp. if it
involved a *matrix*.

do you know where your matrix is from?