The 'Ave Maria' seems quite likely.

Laura

On 5 April 2013 14:22, Tuija Ainonen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

In his 'Sermo in synodo' (c.1239) Robert Grosseteste adviced his priests to make sure that each parishener knows their 'Oratio Dominica', 'Symbolum' and 'Salutatio beatae Virginis'. While I assume the first two to be the Lord's Prayer and the Creed (supposedly the minor for parishoners? priests are explicitly told to know both the minor and the major), I am uncertain as what the last is. Could it be the prayer ascribed to Franciscus of Assisi (Salutatio beatae Mariae Virginis) that could already such a common prayer in England, or is this some other prayer?

My interst is primarily in teaching Latin to undergrads of theology, and to give a little bit history/theology on the side. I still would like to remain historically accurate, so I am wondering that if I give the prayer associated to Franciscus in this context from Grosseteste, will I do historical injustice to England in 1239? Is there any dating available for this prayer?

thank you for any possible replies,
Tuija Ainonen
Ph.D. student, UToronto / Latin teacher, UHelsinki

Dr. Laura Jacobus
Senior Lecturer in History of Art
Birkbeck College, University of London

For details of my book on Giotto and the Arena Chapel see http://www.brepols.net/Pages/ShowProduct.aspx?prod_id=IS-9781905375127-1