Dear list members,

This is probably not a medieval issue, but I'm wondering and asking the list nonetheless.  During Holy Week I got close enough to Cardinal George of Chicago to see that the crosses on his pallium were dark brown. I was quite surprised, since I'd always assumed they were black. But brown was particularly surprising, since brown is not a usual liturgical color. I can only recall seeing it as a color for some religious habits, such as the Carmelites or some Franciscans. Is there "a" color for pallia or is it ad libitum?(Do I recall the crosses of Pope Francis's were red?}.
Best,
John W.