But this can be said to his credit, that he gave the Royal Library to the British Museum, and by that act alone deserving the gratitude of generations of scholars!
Yes, Oxford do all too rarely publish a reasonably-priced paperback; but occasionally the oddest things happen - I think I recall you being sweet reasonableness with someone else's arguments once rather than adopting your usual cantankerous pose!!!

Gordon

In a message dated 24/04/2013 17:35:32 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

From: Revd Gordon Plumb <[log in to unmask]>

> But the Bede paperback is only £18,

not talking about the PB, Gordon --can't compare the Apples of HBs with the
Oranges of PBs.

it's agin God's Law.

and She will be mad.

and your "only" strikes me as a bit of a Stretch.

no matter what the "common" pricing of books happens to be, "only" relates to
the customer's pocket book.

i submit that £18 ain't "only" for a great many of those of us in the 99%
--no matter what the (undoubted) quality of the item happens to be.

>which for an academic paperback in UK is these days very cheap

butbut, that's only because ALL Academic publishers are Gougers.

seems like you've been beaten around the head and shoulders so much, Gordon,
that you're just grateful when a Gouging publisher only beats you around the
shoulders.

Get a Life, man.

G.W. Obama, the present U.S. prezziedint, might be said to be (so far) less
of
a mass murderer than George II was, but that doesn't make either one of them
any less of a mass murderer, does it?

or is Moral Relativism now the Flavor of the Month over there in the ole C of
E?

>just take a look at the paperback prices of Cambridge and OUP!!!

my point, eggsactly.

as we did yesterday, thanks to Bill Shipper, who gave us an example of a
rather decently priced PB put out/up by (of all places) the OUP --in what
must
be seen as an unusually Crafty marketing model. (or, maybe i've been beaten
around the head and shoulders too much...?)