Hi,

Metadata can be scrubbed, but this should not detract of the benefits that
such as process can bring. Rights Management is one aspect but there are
others such as object surrogate details (object number, name), object
history, associations, subjects and technical information (such as quality,
manipulation) can be embedded as well. These aspects can prove to be useful
for the future use of the image either in research or display.

In terms of software, I would recommend photome.de, but I have had success
with GIMP, Picassa and IfranView. If you have large quantities of images to
get through, you can also use other batch file programs such as BIMP Lite,
which I have had tremendous success with in the past.

Robin