Caroline,

Are you using devolved constraints?

Yes

Who for eg Academics, Students, Library staff?

Staff initially to give editing and publishing rights, but we are just introducing devolved constraints for students so that we can pre-populate ‘My Lists’ and also so that we can effectively pilot the Talis Aspire Digitised Content system.

Do you allow academics to create lists?

Yes. We devolve two constraints as part of the assertion:  listcreator and listpub (list creator and list publisher).

I believe that listcreator is a tenancy wide permission so this gives academics the ability to create a list regardless of their affiliation to a module. Listpub is constrained to module affiliation so academics can only publish lists attached to modules they are affiliated to. This is determined by their editing rights on the applicable module within our VLE (Moodle) with a regular update of our central LDAP directory (the directory used for SAML assertion release). Here is an example of our assertions:

·         http://resourcelists.kent.ac.uk/constraints?role=listcreator

·         http://resourcelists.kent.ac.uk/constraints?role=listpub&scope= AC300&scope=AC300&scope=AC501

Or are they all created centrally?

(no – see above)

What challenges have you had with Devolved constraints?

It took us a while to get to a place where we fully understood the permissions model, but on the whole it is a very neat and robust solution that save a *lot* of administrative overhead.

Email me if you need more info/clarification.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Ekins

Project Manager - Library Collections