Once again, thank you Eric and Patrick. And really pleased to know that I've assisted someone, as well.

Best,
Erica

On 30 April 2013 19:02, White, Eric <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Sotheby's (London), Baron Horace de Landau (1824-1903) sale, 12-13 July 1948… at least 7 of the Landau books are here at Bridwell Library, if you’d like a list.

Eric White

Bridwell Library

Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: Assistance with a book description

Erica,

As far as page layout, this sounds exactly as the Paradise Lost example at Bryn Mawr. In my case, the margins were very tightly trimmed back in the contemporary bound copy. The other, untrimmed copy is in a 20th century binding, leading me to believe that it was not

When I first cataloged it, I looked at the watermarks and it seemed that they were the same and in approximately the same position on the page, assuming a larger format in the trimmed copy. While I'm not a paper expert, I think that the untrimmed copy in my case represents the size of the original unbound sheets which the trimmed copy contains.

Best,

Patrick

P.S. Incidentally, I only noticed after looking at your blog that I have you to thank for the CERL provenance query that allowed me to identify my Horace de Landau booklabels. It seems like that collections has scattered to the four corners. I'd love to have a database of where it all ended up!