Dear Rare Books folk,

I have almost finished tracking down all known copies of A catalogue of the different specimens of cloth collected in the three voyages of Captain Cook, to the Southern Hemisphere: with a particular account of the manner of the manufacturing the same in various Islands of the South Seas; partly extracted from Mr. Anderson and Reinhold Forster’s observations, and the verbal account of some of the most knowing of the navigators: with some anecdotes that happened to them among the natives. London: Arranged and printed for Alexander Shaw, 1787.

It is in draft form with some omissions, such as dimensions and provenance. Nevertheless, before I make it available to anyone electronically, I make one last appeal to anyone out there who might know of another copy missed. I would appreciate it. Institutions logged in include:

Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington; Auckland City Library; Auckland War Memorial Museum Library; Bernice Bishop Museum; Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris; British Library; British Museum, London; Durham County Record Office; Field Museum of Natural History; Hawaiian State Archives, Honolulu, Hawaii; Lilly Library, Indiana; Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Cambridge; National Gallery of Australia; National Library of Australia; National Library of Scotland; National Museum of Scotland; New York Historical Society; Oxford University; Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts; Pennsylvania University Museum; Pitts River Museum Oxford; Royal BC Museum Archives; Royal Ontario Museum; South Australian Museum, Adelaide; State Library of South Australia; State Library of South Australia, Royal Geographical Society, Adelaide; State Library of New South Wales, Sydney; State Library of Queensland, John Oxley Library; State Library of Victoria, Melbourne; Tyne and Wear Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne; University of Aberdeen; UCLA Library Department of Special Collections; University of Edinburgh, Special Collections; University of Glasgow, Hunterian Collection; University of Hawaii Special Collection; University of Manchester, John Rylands Library; University of Melbourne; University of Michigan, William Clements Library; University of Minnesota; University of Pennsylvania Museum.

This list does not include privately held copies nor those on the market.

I look forward to replies.

Cheers

Donald.

**
Dr. Donald Kerr, F.L.S.
Special Collections Librarian
University of Otago
P.O. Box 56
Dunedin, New Zealand
Phone: (03) 479-8330
Email: [log in to unmask]

University of Otago Centre for the Book: www.otago.ac.nz/books/about/

Bibliographical Society of Australia and New Zealand http://bsanz.org/

**

Current Exhibition: From Apprentice to Graduate. 50 Years of Pharmacy Education at the University of Otago, 1963-2013

5 April to 25 June 2013

http://www.library.otago.ac.nz/SpecialCollections/exhibitions.html

**

‘Happy, intense absorption in any work, which is to be brought as near to perfection as possible, this is a state of being with God, and the men who have not known it have missed life itself.’ - D. H. Lawrence