[apologies for cross-posting]

Hi,

First of all, I would like to thank of you that wrote to let me know that
I'd missed one vitally important piece of information about the
e-Assessment: A Question of Design event in my last email. Now, I'd like to
pass it off as an early April Fool's prank, but I don't see that working.

Sigh.

So, without any further delay, here's the link to register for e-Assessment:
A Question of Design
<http://www.e-assessment.com/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=121> .

And I can add some more detail about one of the workshops running on the
day:

Mary Kate Johanna.jpgDesigning for e-Assessment
Mary Jacob, Kate Wright, and Johanna Westwood, Aberystwyth University

Multiple-choice (MCQ) is one of the most commonly-used question types in
e-assessment, but MCQs don't always measure students' real knowledge and
understanding. Sometimes, the wording of a question can give students clues
to the right answer even if they don't know the material. Certain principles
of question creation can help you to avoid the common pitfalls of leading
questions.

Writing a question at the knowledge-reproduction level on Bloom's taxonomy
of learning objectives is easy, but can lead to a 'pub quiz' approach to
assessment in which students are only required to produce facts in
isolation. Testing students' comprehension of those facts, their ability to
link facts together into larger concepts or use them to solve problems can
be a more effective method of assessment.

This interactive, hands-on session will explore two aspects of question
construction:

.         Avoiding hidden clues or leading questions

.         Testing real understanding by writing questions at higher levels
on Bloom's taxonomy

Participants will take a sample quiz online to experience how question
wording can lead students to the correct answer regardless of their
comprehension. There will be a short presentation on Bloom's taxonomy as
used in multiple-choice question design,  followed by small group work in
which participants apply the principles to redesign sample questions.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Remember, there's still time to put yourself forward to attempt the 10
assessment tasks in your chosen assessment platform
<http://www.soffed.co.uk/images/10QS.pdf> !

;-)

Kenji Lamb

Soffed