Hi - it's not obvious what might be the problem here, assuming that the data is valid (matching sizes, and not massively huge numbers of voxels).  There will be a new FSL patch release in the next week or two, including some changes in melodic - so it might be worth trying with the new version when it comes out.

Please see the FSL FAQ on RAM/swap/etc issues - assuming that you're running a 64bit version of FSL on a 64bit OS on 64bit hardware (the latter point at least seems clear from your email) then there should not be a problem.   In which case it might be worth uploading the data (along with the command line call you're using) for us to do a quick check on - see the FSL wiki for upload instructions.

Cheers.