Also, mean centering will never hurt a thing.  The point is that it isn't always necessary.

Cheers,
Jeanette

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Chou Paul <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear all

Following for this discussion, i have some following question and help you could give me some answer.
After reading Jeanette A Mumford's website, the situation in this discussion thread is likely the example 1.
If i model the intercept in the design matrix, and interest in the contrast of [0 1] or [0 -1] (Correlation between FA and behavior measurements), do i still need to demean the behavior measurements and FA ?  It seems like i don't need to demean the behavior measurement and FA data when i have model the intercept in the design matrix, am i right ?

Best

Paul

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 22:15:36 +0200
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] Demean Covariate
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Mike,

I guess, the issue of demeaning EVs in FSL is simply because of the lack of demeaning routine in FSL, which may be necessary for a GLM or a linear regression, and actually implemented to deal with automatically in other statistical programs such as SPSS or other matlab functions.

As you can see on http://mumford.fmripower.org/mean_centering/, as Dr. Smith directed,
I guess you used other co-variates as well, since you found different results with/without demeaning. If not, I suggest you to check if your contrast vector is in accordance with your intention carefully. Or maybe you didn't include the interceptor... I don't know.

Re1: Because the model that you fit was different.

Re2: It depends on your question of interest, your model and contrast you tested. When you model the response (Y) as Y=beta_0 + beta_1*X, and you test a contrast of [0 1] or [0 -1] to know if the beta_1 is non-zero, then it is reasonable to demean X, because you already have the interceptor beta_0.

Re3: Actually that's what a linear regression does if you include an interceptor (beta_0) in your model. Demeaning the response variable Y (here FA values) only affects beta_0 (if you used a model: Y=beta_0 + beta_1*X), which might be not of your interest. What you really want to know is the effect of variable X (significance of beta_1), but not the mean FA value of all subjects, right?

While I'm writhing the answers, the feeling that you didn't include an interceptor in your model has grown... did you?
---
Seung-Goo KIM