Hi - it's because we wanted the nonlinear interaction to be relative to the "baseline" of the minimum (i.e. "rest"), rather than based around the mean  - for various applications this makes the interaction more useful.   See more discussions wrt PPI analyses (e.g. on Jill's page) for more on this kind of thing.

Cheers